Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Recipe - Nut-Free Soft Granola Bars

We found out today that one of the kids in my daughter's class has a peanut allergy.  Because of this, their classroom is nut-free.  (They can still have nut-containing things in lunch, because there is a table for people with nuts in their lunch, and for those who have allergies.  All kids can bring friends to sit with them, as long as they don't contaminate each other, if that makes sense, so I think it's a great system).

I thought I would do some research into some nut-free treats to make for my daughter's snack.  I found (and modified) this recipe for Nut-Free Soft Granola Bars and I think they are going to be a hit.  They were super yummy, too!

Next time I might try using half margarine or butter and half canola oil.  They are very buttery tasting.  I'm not complaining, just saying... and I used light corn syrup instead of honey, but half and half might also be good.  I suspect that using all honey would be way too sweet.



Nut-Free Soft Granola Bar

3 c rolled oats
1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 c wheat germ 

1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/4 c margarine 
1/4 c butter
1/2 c honey or corn syrup
1/2 c raisins

In a large bowl, combine oats, sugar, wheat germ, and cinnamon. Cut in margarine until mixture is crumbly. Stir in honey/cornsyrup. Mix well until combined. Stir in raisins. Press into greased 9" square pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes. Cut into bars (this made 18 for me)


Note - I used my food processor to combine everything and it was super easy.  I pulsed instead of mixing full speed, so as not to pulverize all the ingredients.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment