Friday, December 16, 2011

Recipe: Red Velvet Sugar Cookies

I am having a cookie decorating party tomorrow.  I decided not to make just plain old sugar cookies.

So, I made some lemon vanilla sugar cookies, eggnog spice sugar cookies, Smitten Kitchen's Nutmeg Maple Butter Cookies, and these Red Velvet sugar cookies.

I based the Red Velvet sugar cookies on Smitten Kitchen's Brownie Roll-out cookies, which are my favorite chocolate cut out cookies.

Image courtesy King Arthur Flour
King Arthur Flour sent me a sample of Red Velvet Cake Flavor, and I thought this would be a fun use for it.  And oh, it was!

I can't wait to see how they come out after icing!  I'll update with pics of that.


Red Velvet Sugar Cookies

1 c butter
1 1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp Red Velvet Cake Flavor
2/3 c cocoa
3 c flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

Cream together butter and sugar, then add in eggs and vanilla and Red Velvet cake flavor.  Stir in dry ingredients and allow to combine until the dough comes together into a nice ball.  Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour.

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Roll out thinly between two sheets of parchment paper, and cut out with cookie cutters.  Place cut outs on parchment lined cookie sheets, and freeze the cookie sheets with the cut outs on them for about 5 minutes (this keeps them from spreading too much).  Bake for 10-12 minutes and cool on wire racks.
Ice if desired.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment