Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Wacky Worldly Waffle Wednesday: Scotland!

Scotch Eggs on peppery waffles with a little maple syrup
We had a visit over the weekend from a good friend of ours (who lived with us last summer).  She is currently attending veterinary school in Scotland, so when I asked The Boy what country he wanted to honor in waffle form this week, he chose Scotland.
The kids kind of missed our friend Kate.  They were like this all weekend.
Because I had no fried candy bars or haggis on hand, I decided to make Scotch Eggs (which I understand were actually invented in London... but hey, they sound Scottish enough for me...)  I baked them instead of frying them, and I used our homemade rosemary garlic sausage to coat the eggs in.
Hardboiled eggs wrapped in a sausage layer, before breading
After wrapping in sausage, dip in egg wash, then roll gently in bread crumbs.  Bake for about 25 minutes at 400 F.
I put a little ground pepper into the waffle batter to make them more savory.  I topped them with a little maple syrup, because while these are Scotland Inspired Waffles, we are still in Vermont... and they were totally delicious.

The kids will have some leftover Scotch eggs in their lunches tomorrow.  I'd say they are a win!



Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. I've wanted to try scotch eggs for a million years! If I can remember to get sausage this weekend, I'm thinking these will be on the menu!

    ReplyDelete