Monday, May 17, 2010

Recipe: Cream of Tomato Soup

I got this recipe off a cooking message board I visit, and I modified it slightly.  Below is my version.  (I didn't take pictures, but it is really pretty)


Cream of Tomato Soup

1 Tbsp butter
1 small onion, chopped fine
1 large clove of garlic, chopped or pressed
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried basil
1 can Italian style stewed tomatoes (14.5 oz)
2 cans plain stewed tomatoes
3 Tbsp dry sherry
¼ tsp honey
4 oz. neufchatel (1/3 fat cream cheese)

In a medium sized soup pot (at least 4 qt), cook the onions and garlic in the butter with the salt until the onions are soft and translucent. Add the herbs, and saute a few minutes more.
Stir in tomatoes, sherry and honey. Cover and simmer 30-40 min.
(Note: the honey in this recipe is to neutralize the acidity of the tomatoes.)
Cut the cream cheese into small cubes and add these to the hot soup. Continue cooking and stir until smooth (the cheese will take a little while to melt thououghly).
 Puree until smooth.  I use my immersion blender, but you could use a regular blender.  Serve hot.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment