Sunday, August 28, 2011

Recipe: Simple Mayonnaise

What do I do when I'm stuck at home?  I cook and bake.  Cleaning?  Bah.  That can wait.

The kids wanted sandwiches for lunch.  The Girl asked if we had any mayonnaise or Miracle Whip for her ham & cheese.  We had neither.  But!  I can make mayonnaise. 

This is a very simple mayo recipe.  You could fancy it up quite easily by adding other spices, different mustard, a little vinegar (or fancy vinegar even!), olive oil.  Possibilities abound.  I used my food processor, but you could use your blender or immersion blender, or if you are very industrious, a hand whisk.


Simple Mayonnaise

1 egg (or pasteurized egg - this is raw egg, be aware)
2 tsp mustard
1 Tbsp lemon juice
200 ml (a little more than 3/4 c) canola oil

Put the egg, mustard, and lemon juice in the food processor.  Turn on, and drizzle in oil.  Mix until the mayonnaise is emulsified and spreadable.  Store in a jar in the fridge, but not for more than a week, since the egg is raw.

Enjoy on sandwiches or how you would regular store bought mayo.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment