Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Recipe: Chilled Farmer's Market Soup

It's going to be hot here for a couple of days, and so I wanted to give cold soup a try.  Last week, I made this chilled sweet corn soup (amazing!  Pictures on my Facebook page) and the family (and some guests) loved it.  So today, on the way home, I stopped by a Farmer's Market and snagged some veggies to make another chilled soup.

I got some cucumbers, baby golden beets, and yellow cherry tomatoes.. sounds like a yummy soup base to me!


Chilled Farmer's Market Soup

1 1/2 c cherry tomatoes
1 head garlic, peeled
1 onion, chopped
1 small bunch (about 1 c) small golden beets, peeled and quartered
2 large cucumbers, peeled and chopped (about 5 1/2 cups)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 c broth (I used chicken, you could use vegetable)
1/4 c coconut milk
1 Tbsp dried basil (to taste)
salt to taste

Preheat oven to 450 F.  In a small roasting pan, combine cherry tomatoes and garlic cloves with half of the olive oil.  Toss to coat.  In another roasting pan, combine the onion and the beets with the other half of the olive oil.  Roast the tomatoes and garlic for about 25 minutes, and the beets and onion for about 40 minutes, or until softened.
Roasted garlic and cherry tomatoes

Roasted golden beets and onions
Cool the roasted vegetables softly and then put into a large pot or a bowl with the cucumbers.  Add the broth and the coconut milk and puree with an immersion blender (or use a blender, in batches).  Stir in the basil and salt to taste.

Roasted veggies with cucumbers
Chill and serve, with a drizzle of additional coconut milk if desired.

(I served it along with some self-rising garlic biscuits, made with King Arthur Flour's new Self-rising flour!  Yummy!)


Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to use the self-rising flour... I'm thinking garlic biscuits sound like a great choice! (Or maybe cheddar ;-)

    ReplyDelete