Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Worldly Waffle Wednesday: Curry Waffles and Homemade Mango Chutney

We love Indian food, and the kids love Major Grey Chutney.. I thought I would try my hand at making sweet mango chutney, and pair it with curry waffles.  The verdict?  The kids found my homemade sweet mango chutney too spicy and had me digging out the last tablespoon of the store bought Major Grey from the jar in the back of the fridge... but The Hubby and I thought that the homemade chutney was the cat's pajamas.  Seriously.  I have it in our lunches for tomorrow, and I can't wait to eat more of it.  I have maybe two cups of it left, so I will be using it on some more things for a while.. maybe even make some more for Christmas presents!


The waffles could have been a little more strongly curried, but I decided to use a shortcut and use some waffle mix I had hanging around and just add spices to them.  I think the waffle mix had some vanilla powder in it, because it definitely smelled of vanilla.  I used some Teeny Tiny Spice Vindaloo, along with some Teeny Tiny Spice Garam Masala, a touch of cumin, a touch of ground ginger, and a good palmful of curry powder.  Still just barely curried.  But totally yummy all the same.
Mmm, mangoes!

The only changes I made in the chutney was to use regular raisins instead of golden raisins, because it was what I had on hand.  Golden raisins would have been pretty, though.  To make it a little less spicy, I could have added less ginger.  I used at least the quarter cup of chopped ginger the recipe called for, possibly more.  I love ginger.  But, it did give it a kick.


So far, Worldly Waffle Wednesdays have been a huge hit around here.  The Boy requested Swedish cuisine next week.  I may not do waffles on Wednesday, seeing as Thanksgiving is on Thursday, but if I do, I think I am likely to go with cardamom waffles with maybe a touch of saffron, and top with some sort of lingonberry cream or just plain lingonberry jam, and not pickled herring or pea soup waffles... while I love both of the latter things, the former is no doubt the more popular combo for waffles...


Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I love Indian food too but am a bit of a spice wimp and choose the mild dishes myself. My husband is the opposite and I am sure that he would love that chutney!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This might be the perfect Red Dwarf breakfast, in m ore ways than one! Bravo :)

    ReplyDelete