Saturday, January 4, 2014

Recipe: Roasted Winter Squash Soup

As part of my goals for the new year, I want to get back to posting more recipes.  I am still cooking a lot, but haven't been as good at sharing my recipes, and I do so love to share.

It has been ridiculously cold here in Vermont, and I know others are also feeling the chill.  What better for a warm-you-up dinner than a Roasted Winter Squash soup?

I had some leftover winter squash from my CSA (Oh, how I miss my weekly veggie pick up.. they didn't have a good enough season to offer a winter CSA this year.  I'm hoping for next year!)  and decided to use it in my soup.  I just used mixed winter squash that I had on hand.

This soup was very simple and everyone loved it.  The kids each had two bowls.  I'd say that qualifies as a win.
Served with cheese stuffed crescent rolls
Roasted Winter Squash Soup

5-6 small assorted winter squash, halved and de-seeded
2 Tbsp butter
1 can fat free evaporated milk
1 - 1 1/2 c water (adjust to desired thickness)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp cumin
1 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp ground ginger
salt to taste


Preheat oven to 375 F.  Place halved squash on a large baking sheet and place a small pat of butter in each one.  Roast until soft - about 45 minutes.
What's left after scooping out the flesh
A little pot full of cooked squash
Remove from oven and scoop flesh into a small soup pot.

Delicious spices

Add evaporated milk and water and puree with an immersion blender until smooth.  Stir in spices and simmer for about 15 minutes to let flavors combine.


Serve and enjoy!


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment