Friday, February 27, 2015

International Cooking Challenge: Indonesia - Sayur Bening Bayam

A nice bowl of Indonesian comfort
Last night was supposed to be our Mexican adventure... the kids wanted nothing more than tacos, no matter how much I told them that Americanized tacos are not really Mexican.
Last night's "Mexican"
I guess we'll be putting Mexico on the wheel again another time!

Just a couple of girl scout cookies - hope that our booth goes well!!

Tonight, we had picked Indonesia.  It was quite a day.  I picked up Girl Scout Cookies for The Girl's weekend cookie booth.  My car needed some serious work, which The Hubby got done.. and our water pipes are frozen, waiting for help to fix them.  It's been quite a day.  And then, I heard that Leonard Nimoy died.  I am a dyed in the wool long time Star Trek fan.  I love Spock.  I was so sad when I heard about his death, I literally started crying.

So, instead of learning about Indonesia tonight, we are watching Trouble with the Tribbles together.

On to the Sayur Bening Bayam... it's a lovely Indonesian vegetable soup.  It's very easy and quick to put together.  I had to buy some bottled water to make it, due to our current lack of running water, but other than that, there was nothing difficult about it.  It was the perfect quick meal for a night when I needed to get dinner cooked and be done with it.

The Girl and I loved it.  The Boy ate it, but did not really love it.  The Hubby had one bite and declined to eat more. I think it was the fish sauce that he didn't like.  I didn't think that the fish sauce was very strong in the soup, but it hit his palate the wrong way.  Can't win them all.

Sayur Bening Bayam
(modified from thedomesticman.com)

2 shallots
1 Tbsp coconut oil
2 Tbsp ginger, finely chopped
1 1/2 c beef broth
1 1/2 c chicken broth
3 c water
1 lb carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 small can diced tomatoes
4 c (1 6-oz bag) baby spinach, coarsely chopped
2 tsp fish sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Chop shallots finely.  Heat coconut oil in a large, heavy stockpot over medium heat.  Saute shallots in coconut oil for about 5 minutes, or until lightly browned.  Add ginger, broths, and water.  Bring to a boil.  Add vegetables and simmer for 15 minutes, or until carrots are slightly tender.  Add fish sauce and cook for an additional 5 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.




Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment