Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Recipe: Summer Strawberry Pie

I was inspired to buy some strawberries the other day, and began fantasizing about strawberry pie.  The Hubby loves strawberry rhubarb pie (and who can blame him?), but I've never made a plain strawberry pie.

I based my pie on this recipe that I found on The Little Epicurian.  I admit, I used store bought pie crust.  I was very tired when I made the pie, and it was very hot... this was a night when we had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for dinner.  I was set on making this pie, though.


It's a wonderful pie, and I think it would be even better a la mode.  I may or may not have had a piece for breakfast, with my cup of coffee.  That was pretty delicious, too.

Summer Strawberry Pie
(modified from The Little Epicurian)

2 lb (5 c) strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/2 c sugar
3 Tbsp Instant Clearjel powder (from King Arthur Flour - can also use cornstarch)
1/2 tsp salt
2 pie crusts (9", store bought or homemade)
1 Tbsp milk
2 tsp sugar, for dusting

Mix strawberries with sugar, clearjel, and salt, and set aside to macerate while preparing the pie crust.

Roll bottom pie crust out so that it is slightly larger than the pie plate.  Transfer to pie plate and cut excess, crimping edges slightly (the decorative edging will happen with the addition of the top crust, so don't worry about it at this point).  Chill the crust at least 5 minutes.

Spoon filling into crust and spread out evenly.  Roll out second crust and place on top of the pie.

Crimp edges decoratively, and cut several air vents into the top.  I have a tiny strawberry cookie cutter, and The Boy helped to cut the decorations.  Brush lightly with milk and sprinkle with sugar on top of the pie.  Chill the pie while preheating the oven to 450 F.

Cover the edges of the pie with foil and bake at 450 F for 10 minutes.  Lower temperature to 350 and bake for an additional 30-40 minutes, rotating halfway through, until crust is lightly golden brown.

Let cool and enjoy!



Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment