Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Recipe: Cheesy Spaetzle

So... I got a new toy yesterday, after the fun of the Boiled Slobbages.

I got myself a spaetzle maker.

I couldn't help myself.

So tonight, I made some delicious cheesy spaetzle. (Served with roasted plum tomatoes drizzled with balsamic reduction)

The girl is still calling it boiled slobbages.

I added some whole wheat flour to the slobbages spaetzle this time, and they had that nutty wheat flavor that I like.  All white flour is definitely fluffier.  I don't mind the sacrifice in texture for the wheat, but it's up to you.


Cheesy Spaetzle

Dough
2 eggs
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 c all purpose flour
1/2 c wheat flour
1/4 c skim milk
1/4 c seltzer (optional - can use all milk.  The seltzer makes them fluffier)

2 Tbsp butter
1/2 c shredded cheese (I used a mixture of sharp cheddar and monterey jack)
1/2 c bread crumbs

Combine the ingredients for the dough together well.  Let rest for about 10 minutes.  In a large pot, boil broth or water (I used a cube of boullion in the pot). Using a spaetzle maker or a collander, press the dough through holes into the boiling liquid.
New toy!
Slobbages Spaetzle dropping into the pot

Boil for about 2-3 minutes, or until they all float, stirring occasionally.

Remove from the boiling liquid and submerge in a bowl of cold water for about 30 seconds.  This keeps them from sticking.

Melt half of the butter in a large frying pan.  Saute the slobbages spaetzle briefly in the pan.

Sprinkle in shredded cheese and stir well.  Top with bread crumbs and dot with remaining butter.  Spray the top with butter flavored cooking spray if desired.  Bake for about 5 minutes at 400 F to crisp up the top.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment