Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Recipe: Chilled Carrot Soup

It's hot today.  Not as hot as it is in some parts of the country, but hot.  And muggy.  It felt like walking through a sauna out there today.  I did not want to turn on the oven.

But... I'm having people over for dinner.

So, I made a chilled soup.  I had to have the stove on this morning briefly, but I have air conditioning.

The topping is optional, but I think it adds some dimension.


Chilled Carrot Soup

1 Tbsp olive oil
4-5 c shredded carrots
1 chopped onion
1 tsp garlic powder

1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp Teeny Tiny Spice Penang Curry (or other curry powder)

5 c water
1 Tbsp Better Than Boullion Veggie Base (or other boullion)

1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp rice vinegar

1 small cucumber, sliced into ribbons (I use my peeler)
3 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1 Tbsp lime zest

In a soup pot, heat oil.  Stir in carrots and onion, along with garlic powder.  Cook for about 5 minutes.

Stir in sugar and curry powder and cook for an additional minute.  Add water and Better Than Boullion and bring to a boil.  Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
Before pureeing.
Puree in batches (or use an immersion blender - mine broke) and stir in lemon juice and vinegar.  Chill for several hours.
All chilled

Before serving, combine ribbons of cucumber with cilantro and lime zest in a small bowl.  Sprinkle a little over each serving of soup.

The topping
Yum!


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment