Thursday, November 20, 2014

Recipe: Roasted Spatchcocked Chicken

I picked up a whole roasting chicken at the store the other day, and I wanted to try something different with it.

I've seen Spatchcocking all over the internet.  Sounds dirty, doesn't it?  It's a little on the violent side, as cooking techniques go.
Bye bye, backbone!

All pressed down

First, you cut out the backbone of the chicken (and put it aside, to use later in a chicken soup or stock!), then flip the chicken over and press down hard on the chicken to make it flat.  Spatchcocking makes chicken roast in about half the time, and it cooks nice and evenly.  Plus, it's fun.

Chilling with the spices all day
I rubbed the bird down with olive oil, and then seasoned with smoked paprika, kosher salt, and oregano.  I let it marinade in this mixture all day in the refrigerator.  (I spatchcocked the chicken in the morning before work).

Ready to roast!
When it was time for dinner, I took the chicken out of the fridge and let it warm up a bit while the oven was heating up to 450 F.  Roast the chicken on a flat roasting rack over a roasting pan for about 30 minutes, or until the internal temperature is 165 F.

Crispy, delicious skin, and a moist chicken!
Let rest for 10 minutes before carving and enjoying.  I served it with some jasmine rice and roasted squash.


I will definitely be using this technique again! 




Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment