Friday, November 28, 2014

Recipe: Fig Butter Pear Pie

I have been making my apple butter pie for years.  It is essentially a pumpkin pie, but using apple butter instead of pumpkin puree, and it is delicious.


When I saw fig butter at the store, I knew I wanted to try a similar pie with it.  I decided to try it with pears, because I love fig and pears together.


This may have been the best idea I've ever had.

Fig Butter Pear Pie

1/2 c fig butter (you could make your own, if you can't find it)
2 c evaporated milk
1/4 c sugar
1 egg
1 Tbsp flour
2 vanilla beans

3 Bosc pears
2 Tbsp brown sugar

1 Pie Crust

Roll pie crust out and line a 9" pie plate.  Preheat oven to 425 F.


Peel and thinly slice pears.  Boil a pot of water (about 8 c) with the brown sugar and one of the vanilla beans, with seeds removed and put into the water, and the bean also put into the water. 


Blanche the pear slices briefly, until they are just flexible. 


Remove from water with a slotted spoon and arrange in pie crust (I made a spiral rose design)


Mix together fig butter, evaporated mik, sugar, egg, seeds from the second vanilla bean, and flour. 


Pour mixture over the pears in the pie crust.




Bake for 425 for 10 minutes, and then 350 for 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool on a wire rack, and enjoy.



Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment