Monday, November 16, 2009

Recipe: Crystallized Ginger

My kiddos won't eat this delicious stuff, but I sure will!

Notice a trend here? I love ________.  __________ is pricey.  I wonder if I can make _________ myself, cheaper and healthier?

This time it's crystallized ginger.  Spicy and delicious, I think it's the perfect snack.  I'm going to try drying some in my food dehydrator, once I get the sheets I ordered today to make fruit leather.  (Thanks for the inspiration on that one, Foodie Footsteps!)  I am going to try a second batch tomorrow night, too, with much thinner slices.  I used pretty thick slices tonight (1/8"-1/4") and I think thinner slices might be better.  We'll see.
(I'll get some more pictures next time I make it, probably tomorrow)


Crystallized Ginger

1 1/2 c peeled, sliced ginger root
1 1/2 c water
1 1/2 c sugar, plus more for coating

Boil water and sugar in a large, non-reactive pan (I used my Le Creuset), and add in ginger.  Stir to coat, and reduce heat to medium low.  Simmer for about 15 minutes, then turn heat up and bring to a boil.  Stir occasionally, and boil for about 10-15 minutes.  Strain out ginger and drain on a cooling rack (the grid kind works best) with paper towels under it to catch any drips.  When cool, toss with extra sugar to coat.  Store in an air tight container for up to three months.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment