Sunday, June 29, 2014

Dinners for an Outing: Picnic on the Beach - 6.29.14

It was a really hot day and I was very tired, and so we didn't do much of anything all day.  I napped.  The kids played on the computer.  I was feeling a bit guilty about being inside for most of the day, and after my nap, I had a little energy, so I decided to pack dinners for us and go to the beach.


I packed us some tuna salad made with hummus instead of mayonnaise, with croutons and on a bed of lettuce, with apple slices and ginger cookies.  It was a pretty yummy, no-cook dinner for this hot evening.


I need to add that I don't love the beach.  I love swimming, but don't really like sand.  I grew up on a rocky shore, and I like that much better... I know, I am strange.  The Girl loves the beach, and is actually going to a swimming-based sleep-away Girl Scout camp in a couple of weeks.  I know that she will have a blast.
The best picture I could get of The Girl in the water...
At least he likes the water... 
The Boy is reticent to learn how to swim (and staunchly refuses my offer of getting him lessons).  Thus, I want to spend some time at the beach this summer to get him to be more comfortable with swimming.  He made some progress tonight,   The Girl turned out to be a patient teacher.  He learned some from me, but more from her.  I think it might be a couple more trips to the beach, and some determination to succeed.. he does love playing in the water, but it's just the swimming he is trepidatious about.

And there were minnows!
Overall, it was a nice picnic, and fun in the water.  I am glad that we decided to go, and hope that we can make it a more regular thing.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment