Friday, January 2, 2015

Recipe: Green Scotch Eggs

I love Scotch Eggs!  Wrapping a hard boiled egg in sausage - how can that be wrong?

I've made them before, specifically to put atop my Scottish Waffles.  I've always baked them instead of frying, and they turn out wonderfully.

I had an inspiration a couple of weeks ago to make them with spinach, so that they were Green Scotch Eggs.  Perhaps I should make them again for Dr. Seuss' birthday, maybe mix some ham in... (Green Eggs and Ham, of course).

They turned out totally deliciously.


I used some saran wrap to wrap the sausage around the eggs, so as to avoid getting my hands all full of sausage, and it was similar to making sandwich balls.

Green Scotch Eggs

6 hard boiled eggs
10 oz frozen spinach, cooked and drained
1 lb raw breakfast sausage (I used chicken breakfast sausage links, which I cut the casings off of, but you could use bulk sausage)
1 c panko breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 400 F.

Combine spinach and sausage well.  I used a food processor, so that the spinach was nicely chopped and the mixture was uniform.


Divide the sausage and spinach mixture into 6 equal portions.  Take one portion and flatten it on a piece of saran wrap.  Place a peeled hard boiled egg on top, then use the saran wrap to fully surround the egg with the sausage.

Coat the sausage covered egg with breadcrumbs, using a shallow bowl.


Place on a rack on a baking sheet, then repeat with remaining eggs and sausage.

Bake for 20-25 minutes.


Serve in slices, hot, room temperature, or cold.  Enjoy!


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment