Saturday, August 14, 2010

Lunches for an Outing: 8.15.10

My brother and I are taking our collective five children halfway across the state (a 2 hour car trip) to go to King Arthur Flour (our happy place), and to a children's museum around the corner (the kids' happy place).

Though King Arthur Flour has a lovely bakery and cafe, it is very expensive.  We would rather save our money to spend on ingredients and gadgetry.  So, lunches are packed in our Easy Lunchboxes!
The Great Tower of Lunches

We all pretty much have the same thing:  a small Paula Red apple, red and green grapes, baby carrots, and a cheddar cheese and jelly sandwich.

My brother's kids like pickles, so they have some mini gherkins.  So do my brother and I.  My kids have some ranch dressing to go with their baby carrots instead of gherkins.  *sigh*

My brother made lovely homemade bread, so most of us have our sandwiches on that.

My son has Type 1 Diabetes, so I opted for store bought bread for him, with a known carb count.  (My brother didn't write down his recipe, so I couldn't calculate the carbs in his bread.  Better safe than sorry...)  To make up for the boring bread, I pressed a butterfly shape into his bread.  You can't really see it in the picture, but it's there.

I can't wait for our trip!  I'm sure I'll pick up some new toys to play with... because I'm saving so much by packing lunch...  (I rationalize.. but it's a once a year trek)


Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. The prettiest stack of lunches!!! Sounds like it'll be fun! Have a wonderful day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your trip - good day for it, we're having our tent sale and lots of free samples! PJ Hamel, King Arthur baker/blogger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you elaborate on the Cheddar cheese and Jelly sandwiches? I have never heard of that on a sandwich. Is it just as simple as it sounds?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is indeed! Simply sharp cheddar cheese and a layer of jelly. If you have never had jelly with cheese, you are missing out!

    ReplyDelete