Monday, August 9, 2010

Recipe: Unstuffed Pepper Skillet

My parents have a huge vegetable garden, and they give me a share of the crop.  It's pretty cool.

This week, they gave me a big bag of green peppers.

Generally, my kids don't like green peppers.

This called for some creative thinking.

Enter the unstuffed pepper skillet!

Daddy and I loved it.  The girl really liked it.  The boy (in an "I don't like anything green" phase) barely ate it at all.

*sigh*  You can't win them all.

But, you should try it!  It's delicious!

I used brown basmati rice, but you could use any rice of your choosing.  I really like the brown basmati because it adds a certain nuttiness that I absolutely enjoy.


Unstuffed Pepper Skillet

1 lb ground turkey
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
2 Tbsp worchestershire sauce
1 tsp italian seasoning
1/2 jar spaghetti sauce
1 c dry brown basmati rice, cooked according to directions
1/2 c shredded part skim mozzarella cheese

In a 3 qt saute pan, brown turkey.  Sprinkle with italian seasoning and 1 Tbsp of worchestershire sauce.  When it is browned, drain and remove from pan.

In the same pan, sweat the pepper and onion on medium heat until soft and the onion is translucent, about 10 minutes.  Stir in the rest of the worchestershire sauce.

When the peppers and onions are done, stir the meat back in.  Add the spaghetti sauce to the pan and stir well.
Doesn't have to be Ragu.  I just happened to have half a jar in my fridge...

Stir the rice into the skillet.  Sprinkle with shredded cheese and cover until the cheese is melted.
No, they didn't eat the raw bell pepper. I had to try...


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment