Thursday, August 12, 2010

Recipe: Baked Corn Dog Bites

I had a hankering earlier for corn dogs.

And because I am me, I decided to make baked mini corn dog bites.

I used some beveri flax seed that I got in as a free sample to review (that will come soon!) in the corn biscuit dough, and it was wonderful.

Baked Corn Dog Bites

3/4 c white flour
3/4 c whole wheat flour
1/4 c milled flax seed (I used Beveri Golden Flax seed, milled in a coffee grinder)
1/2 c corn meal
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c butter
3/4 c buttermilk (or skim milk with a teaspoon of vinegar in it)
1 package hot dogs (I used low fat turkey)

Preheat the oven to 450 F.

Combine dry ingredients in a food processor (can be done by hand in a bowl).  Cut in butter and pulse until the mixture is crumbly.  Add in milk and pulse just until the dough comes together.  Remove from food processor and press into a flat disc between two sheets of wax paper or parchment paper.

Roll to about 1/4" thick evenly.

Cut hotdogs into quarters lengthwise.

Cut pieces of the biscuit dough to just fit around the pieces of hot dogs.  Press to seal each bite.

Place the covered corn dog bites on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet.  When they are all done, spray lightly with cooking spray.

Bake for about 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.

Serve with ketchup and mustard.


Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Have I (Jolinar from BBC) told you lately how much I love your blog? I think this post may have sent me over the edge into obsession!!! I'm currently working on my menu for the first month of school and I can see the appearance of these corn dog bites (also the ogre bread and mini pitas) often. I might have to make these for dinner this weekend, depending on how many points I have left (I do Weight Watchers)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to make some more Ogre Bread before school starts! (I think I'm going to make it into mini muffins.. easier for lunches)
    Hope that you enjoy the corn dog bites - and happy that you are liking my blog! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, I checked on the price of feta cheese. OMG, $17 a pound here.!! Are there any other options?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get the Athenos low fat crumbles. I don't think it's that expensive... a solid hunk o' feta is more pricey, I think. You could probably make it with other cheese, like cheddar, and it would be yummy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made the corn dog bites! At first I was got frustrated because the dough stuck, then I got smart and scraped it all off and sprayed the heck out of it. My family loved these!!! Oh, they were so good. I have a feeling they will be right up there with my crumb-coated chicken nuggets when it comes to dinner requests!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy that you all liked them!!!

    ReplyDelete