Sunday, March 13, 2011

Recipe: Mini Crumb Topped Apple Pies

3.14 = Pi Day = Pie Day.  Hooray for pies.

And, because I'm me.. hooray for mini pies.

I used store bought pie crust, because as I believe I've mentioned before, I fail at pie crust.  Tragically.  If you have the knack, make your own pie crust.

Mini Crumb Topped Apple Pies

For the filling:
2 apples, peeled, cored, and diced very small
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground ginger

1/4 c sharp cheddar cheese (if desired), shredded (I used my microplane)

For the topping: 
3 Tbsp brown sugar
3 Tbsp whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ginger

One pie crust

Before shaking them up to mix
Preheat oven to 425 F.  Combine the apples with the other ingredients for the filling, and let sit at least 15 minutes (this helps to release excess juices).

Spray your mini muffin tins with cooking spray.  Using a biscuit cutter (~2" round), cut circles out of the pie crust.  Combine extra pieces, roll out again, and continue cutting until all the pie crust is used.  I ended up with 18 mini pies.  Gently press the crust into each muffin cup.  Press down with a small tart tamper, or other small round item.  (I used a mini M&M tube!). 

Sprinkle the bottom of each mini crust with a small amount of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, if desired.
Because Apple Pie without the cheese is like a kiss without the squeeze...

Spoon a tablespoon or so of the apple filling into the crusts.

Combine ingredients for the topping, and spoon about 1 tsp onto each little pie.  Spray with butter flavored cooking spray.  Bake for about 15 minutes and cool on wire racks.


Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Thinking of making these *just* because of the cheese! My family always serves sharp cheddar with apple pie and Dennis thought it was the strangest thing - til he tried it!

    ReplyDelete