Monday, April 25, 2011

Recipe: Indian Naan

I cannot make Indian food for my family without making naan.  Lots of naan.  Of course, if I was going to make it traditionally, I would need to get a tandoor.  Oh, how I would love to have a tandoor...

I know you can buy naan at most stores, but seriously?  Very expensive for not so many pieces of bread.  And I always prefer to make things myself if I can.  These naan have gotten thumbs up from an Indian friend of mine, so I think they are pretty good.
Naan, wonderful naan (with hard boiled egg masala and an assortment of Indian chutneys and pickles...

I make the dough in the bread machine, and it is super simple.  I set the timer to have the dough ready when I get home from work, and then roll them on out and cook them!

Indian Naan

1 1/2 c water or liquid whey
4 Tbsp vegetable oil (or ghee, if you have it)
4 c whole wheat flour
2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp yeast

Place ingredients in your bread machine in the order recommended by your manufacturer (or use a stand mixer or mix the dough by hand).  Select dough setting.

Once the dough cycle (including rise) is done, punch the dough down and divide into 16 equal parts. Let the dough rest about 10 minutes under a kitchen towel.


On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece of dough into a very thin circle (or oblong shape, which is more traditional).  Cover each piece with a kitchen towel and let rise for about 20 minutes.

Place a cookie sheet on the lowest rack in the oven.  Preheat the oven, with the cookie sheet in it, to 500 F.  One or two at a time (if two will fit on the cookie sheet), bake the naan for about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.  The bread will rise and form bubbles.

When done baking, place in a bowl covered with a kitchen towel.  They will deflate somewhat.

Serve with Indian food, chutneys, Indian pickles... use your imagination and enjoy!


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment