Saturday, January 8, 2011

Recipe: Homemade Peanut Butter

I made peanut butter!  I've been meaning to make it for a while now.  I tried it once years ago and it didn't work at all - but I think I just didn't blend it long enough.

This was very easy!  You can even add your favorite things to your peanut butter.  Ever seen PB Loco?  They have so many great looking flavors, and I think it would be simple to replicate many of them at home.

For my first try, I just made plain ol' peanut butter.  Smooth.  That's what my family prefers.  I did add a little sugar (2 Tbsp for the entire batch), and you could try honey too!

Give it a try!  I used my food processor, but I think a blender would work just as well.

This makes about 2 c of peanut butter.  I worked that out to about 100 calories per tablespoon, and about 4.5 g of carbs per tablespoon (which I have to keep track of the The Boy, who is a Type 1 Diabetic).  Store bought peanut butter has about the same amount of calories (slightly less) and a little less carbs (3.5g per tablespoon), but the fact that I don't have any other added junk makes me happy about it.


Homemade Peanut Butter

4 c dry roasted, unsalted (or lightly salted) peanuts
2 Tbsp sugar (to taste)

Put peanuts in your food processor (or blender) and blend until the oils release and a smooth butter forms.  Add sugar if desired and mix completely.  Transfer to an airtight container and keep in the fridge.
Ready to go

The beginning of the blending - they look kind of powdery and dry

Letting go of their oils, starting to form a butter

Added a little sugar

Finished peanut butter!


Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. you could use Splenda, and not add the carbs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like using artificial sweeteners if I can avoid it. The Boy's doctors agree. 2 Tablespoons of sugar doesn't add too much. But yes, you could use Splenda if you prefer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, it is cheaper? I don't know the price of peanuts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can get a jar of peanuts for about $2.50. I am not sure if it works out to be much cheaper, but it is certainly healthier... there's a lot of additives and extra junk in store bought peanut butter. and it's also tastier, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks easy enough! About how long did you blend it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You blend it for a couple of minutes, until the peanuts release their oils and the mixture becomes smooth. You can tell when it's been blended enough. Super simple. :)

      Delete