Saturday, January 1, 2011

Recipe: My Dad's New Year's Day Black-Eyed Peas

Happy New Year!

I'll take good luck anywhere I can get it, and Black-Eyed Peas on New Year's Day is a delicious good luck tradition.

This is my father's recipe, and it's chock full o' veggies.  You can add hot sauce to yours if you like (I do), and it's also delicious with a little cheese sprinkled on top.  It's wonderful served with cornbread, too.
All gone... mmmm.

Give it a try!


My Dad's New Year's Day Black-Eyed Peas

2 1/2 c broth (I used veggie broth)
1 lb dried black-eyed peas (do not soak)
3/4 lb slab bacon or ham or a mixture of both, cut into 3/4" cubes, or small slices (I used low sodium bacon)
1 large onion, chopped
1 c chopped bell peppers (I used some mini ones I had)
1/4 c celery, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste
hot sauce if desired

In a 5 1/2 qt Dutch Oven, combine all ingredients except for hot sauce (if using) and stir well.  Cover pan, and bring to a boil on high heat, stirring occasionally.  Put lid slightly askew and continue to boil for 5 minutes.  Stir well, reduce heat to simmer, and cook for at least an hour and a half with the lid askew.  Stir occasionally so that it doesn't stick.  Serve with cornbread.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment