Sunday, December 18, 2011

Recipe: Glögg Cake

I made a batch of Swedish Glögg yesterday, and I had some left over, with lots of delicious raisins and almonds and spices leftover.  My mother often makes a great cake (we call it Aunt Annie Cake, I'll post the original someday) out of leftover Glögg, and I wanted to try it.

Success.  :)

I made a double recipe, and this makes a ton!  I will post the single recipe.
My pan was almost too small - albeit for a double batch

Make sure that you use a large pot.  Because it bubbles up when you add the baking soda.

Glögg Cake

4 c leftover Swedish Glögg (with raisins, almonds, and spices.  Strain out cinnamon sticks and orange peel)
1/2 c butter

2 c sugar
1 c additional Swedish Glögg or water
1 Tbsp baking soda dissolved in 1 Tbsp water
4 c flour

Preheat oven to 350 F.  In a large pot, heat Glögg and butter until butter melts.

Add the remaining ingredients in the order written.  Be careful when you add the baking soda, it will foam up a LOT.

After stirring in flour, pour batter into greased pans - I like using a loaf pan or a bundt pan.  Bake for 45-60 minutes or until a knife or a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment