Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Recipe: Jelly Slices


I got a bunch of new cookbooks for Christmas (because my family loves me and knows me very well).

One of the cookbooks that I got was my favorite Swedish sweets cookbook, in a new English translation (with metric conversions!), Swedish Cakes and Cookies.

The first recipe I decided to make from this was Jelly Slices.  Impressive looking, but simple, these are a winner.

I modified the recipe a little, adding some lemon extract, and using blackberry jelly in it instead of "red fruit preserves."

Here's my version of the recipe.


Jelly Slices
(Modified from Swedish Cakes and Cookies)

1 c softened butter
2/3 c sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp lemon extract

Blackberry jelly (or jelly of your choice) for filling

3/4 c confectioner's sugar + 1 1/2 Tbsp water for glaze

Preheat oven to 400 F.  Cream together the butter and sugar.  Beat in the eggs, and then extract and the dry ingredients.

Divide the dough into 4 pieces (I used 2 because I have giant baking sheets).  Roll each into about a 16" length directly on parchment lined baking sheets.

Form a channel down the center of each log and spoon in the jelly.  Bake for 15 minutes.

Whisk together the glaze and drizzle over the baked logs.  Allow to cool, and then slice diagonally to serve.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment