Saturday, December 17, 2011

Recipe: Swedish Glögg

I decided that we would need something to drink at my cookie decorating party, and what better than Glögg?

*This recipe is not "Fit For a Kid."  I once had non-alcoholic Glögg in Sweden, and it was delicious.  I think it was made with white and purple grape juice.  It was seriously wonderful.  I should try to recreate it.  But for now, the wine version wins.  I also made some spiced hot cider in the crockpot, for the kids, and for people who don't want to drink.

This is the recipe that is in my family's cookbook, and I have fond memories of the smell as a child, even when I didn't have any desire to drink it.  The spicy wine smell is wonderful.  (This is my father's recipe, though this is a double batch)

And I wasn't drunk on the fumes, I swear.


Swedish Glögg

1 c sugar

1 1/2 liter red whine (I used merlot)
1 1/2 liter white whine (I used chablis blanc)

1 1/2 c raisins
1 1/2 c almonds, blanched and whole (*I left these out of some of the recipe, as I have a nut-allergic friend coming.  I also used slivered almonds)
2 Tbsp cardamom pods, whole and slightly crushed
1 tsp whole cloves
2 sticks cinnamon
1 peel of an orange


In a large pan (large enough for the entire recipe), melt the sugar over medium high heat.  Do not allow to burn, just let it caramelize slightly.  Cool completely.  It's ok if it hardens.  *DO NOT continue until it is cooled - if you pour the wine on top of molten sugar, it can explode.  This is the voice of (my father's) experience.
It's perfectly fine to use the cheaper wine... and I only used about half of each jug, so you could get smaller ones.

When cooled, pour the wine over the sugar.  Heat over medium heat.  The wine will dissolve the sugar.

Add in spices, raisins, and almonds.  Top with orange peel.  Allow to cook over low heat, stirring occasionally.  Don't leave over the heat too long, or as my father says, "you will drive all of the alcohol out and everyone in the kitchen will be tipsy!"  You can add a little vodka if you like to serve, but this is not really necessary.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment