Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Wacky Worldly Waffle Wednesday: Thailand

The Boy requested a Wacky Worldly Waffle Wednesday dinner tonight, and we decided upon Thailand for inspiration.

I had some Satay Peanut Sauce from Trader Joe's, and some chicken drumsticks, so I started there.

The kids and I adored this!  We all gobbled it up, and I can't wait to have leftovers in my lunch tomorrow.

Thai Curry Waffles with Satay Chicken Drumsticks and Coconut Milk Zucchini

Satay Chicken Drumsticks

1 jar satay peanut sauce (I used Trader Joe's brand)
5-6 chicken drumsticks

Thai Curry Waffles

2 c pancake/waffle mix
2 egg whites
1 c coconut milk
1/4 c Thai Yellow Curry Sauce (from Trader Joe's - use slightly less if using a more concentrated curry paste)
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 Tbsp lemongrass paste (I have this awesome paste in a tube) - could subsitute lime juice

Coconut Milk Zucchini

1 small zucchini
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp Penzey's Bangkok Blend
1/4 c coconut milk

To make the chicken, marinate the drumsticks for 8 hours or more in the satay sauce.  I started this in the morning before going to work.  Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate.  When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 450 F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and put a baking rack on top.  Place the chicken on the rack and bake ~40 minutes, or until internal temperature is 165 F.
My lemon grass herb blend paste
Meanwhile, mix the batter for the waffles.  Preheat waffle iron and cook according to your waffle maker's instructions.
Yum
Cooking down the coconut milk
While you are making the waffles, slice the zucchini into thin slices (about 1/8" thick).  Preheat a saute pan and melt the coconut oil.  Sprinkle the zucchini with the Bangkok blend and saute for 2-3 minutes.  Deglaze the pan with coconut milk and allow the coconut milk to cook down until thickened and nearly absorbed into the zucchini.

To serve, place some of the zucchini on top of a waffle and top with a drumstick.  Enjoy.

Disclaimer: I love Trader Joe's and Penzey's, but they do not sponsor this post or this blog. All opinions are my own (or that of the kids)


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment