Sunday, December 13, 2015

Recipe: Nutty Chai Custard Pie

I almost forgot to share my new pie recipe from Thanksgiving!!  It was something to remember, for sure, so though it is past "pie season" for me (aka Thanksgiving), I can't let this one slip into a distant memory!

I was thinking about how pistachios are highly underused, and then I started thinking about some other underused nuts - hazelnuts and macadamia nuts.  How about I make a pie with all of these lovely nuts?

Nutty Chai Custard Pie was born!



I based my recipe off an old recipe for Jefferson Davis Pie, which I have never made, but which is a custard pie with nuts, raisins, and dates.  Sounded about right.

This pie elicited goose bumps from some that tried it.  I may have did a little dance and clapped a bit.  Yes, it is worth trying.

Unless you are allergic to nuts.  If you are allergic to nuts, stay away from this pie.  It is chock full of them.  I bought my nuts roasted.  If you purchase yours raw, just give them a quick toast first to bring out their flavor.

Nutty Chai Custard Pie

1 pie crust

1/2 c pistachios
1/2 c hazelnuts
1/2 c macadamia nuts

1 1/2 c cream
2 chai tea bags (or loose tea) to steep
1 Tbsp Garam masala
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger

1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c butter, softened
3 Tbp flour
5 egg yolks
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 425 F.  Line a pie plate with your pie crust, and prick the bottom of the dough with a fork several times.  Line the entire crust with tin foil and fill with dried beans or a pie weight.  Bake for 25 minutes.  Remove from oven, carefully remove foil and beans, and set aside to cool.  Reduce heat in oven to 325 F.

Put the cream in a measuring cup along with spices, and then steep with the tea.  Allow to steep while working on the rest of the pie.

Chop all nuts coarsely (I used my food processor).    Pour half into the pie crust, lining the bottom of the crust well.  Don't worry about getting them too closely packed - you want the custard to go between the nuts.  Set aside the remaining nuts.

This is too many nuts.  I made two pie, and the second pie, I didn't do just half the nuts, but all.  Don't be like me.  Only go half-nutty.  At least at first.
Cream together butter and brown sugar.  Add egg yolks, one at a time.  Finally, remove tea bags from the cream and mix that into the custard mixture, along with the flour, beating until just combined.

Pour the custard over the nuts (there may be leftover custard - do yourself a favor and put it in a little custard dish to bake separately!  You can't taste test a pie, but making a little extra filling on the side?  Totally taste-testable!).   Top the custard mixture with the remaining nuts.

Put foil around the edges of the crust to protect it from burning.  Bake in the oven for 55-65 minutes, or until the center of the pie jiggles just slightly.  Remove, cool, and enjoy at room temperature or chilled.




Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment