Saturday, January 30, 2010

Recipe: Homemade Tomato (and other veggie) Soup

This is one I'll be making again!  We love tomato soup around here.

(I tripled the recipe, because I had friends over.  Pictures are of the tripled recipe.)  I of course forgot to take a picture of the finished soup.  Typical.  It was smooth and delicious, trust me!

Homemade Tomato (and other Veggie) Soup

1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
~1/4 c olive oil
1 stalk celery, diced
1 small carrot, diced
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 c vegetable broth (or chicken broth - I was making it for vegetarian friends)
1 bay leaf
2 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp tomato paste
3 Tbsp dried basil (or 1/4 c chopped fresh basil)

Preheat oven to 450 F.

Strain the tomatoes, reserving the juice, and spread into roasting pan.  Drizzle with olive oil.

Roast for 15-20 minutes, until caramelized, stirring occasionally.

In your soup pot, heat remaining olive oil over medium heat.  Add celery, onion, carrots, and garlic.  Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened




Add the roasted tomatoes, reserved juice, broth, bay leaf, and butter and tomato paste.  Simmer for about 20 minutes, or until vegetables are very tender. 

Remove bay leaves, add basil, and puree with an immersion blender until smooth.  (You could also transfer to a blender carefully to puree.  The immersion blender is much easier).



Fantastic with crackers or grilled cheese.


Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. Looks de-LISH!! I'm definitely gonna try it!! I don't have an immersion blender though...are they expensive? Can you use a regular electric mixer? other than that its doable for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not very expensive, Betsy - and amazingly useful! Great for pureed soups, but also things like smoothies and milkshakes. Here's a good one: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CSB-76BC-SmartStick-200-Watt-Immersion/dp/B000EGA6QI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1264862645&sr=8-1
    There are some cheaper ones on Amazon, but I don't trust the brands as much as I trust Cuisinart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you could not use a hand mixer - a blender or maybe a food processor, but a food processor might leak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks absolutely wonderful. I am going to absolutley have to make this today while im stuck at home from all the snow!

    ReplyDelete