Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Wacky Worldly Waffle Wednesday: Cuban Waffles

Welcome to the return of Wacky Worldly Waffle Wednesday!  I fell off for a few months, but I'm back and raring to go.  This week, I asked a coworker what country I should tackle, and she immediately said Cuba.


I did some research, and found that black beans and rice and fried plantains are typical in Cuba.  So, I decided to make Black Bean & Rice Waffles with Fried Plantains, topped with a little garlic cream cheese.


I could not stop eating the fried plantains.  The kids did not care for them, but they loved the waffles themselves.

Black Bean & Rice Waffles

2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 c chicken or vegetable stock
4 eggs
2 c milk
6 Tbsp oil
2 c all purpose flour
1 c rice flour
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
2 Tbsp baking powder

Puree the beans with the water, and mix in with the eggs, milk, and oil until smooth.  Combine dry ingredients and add to the bean mixture.  Cook according to waffle maker's instructions.  Serve with fried plantains and garlic cream cheese and salsa if desired.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment