Thursday, February 7, 2013

Wacky Worldy Waffle Wednesday: Sri Lanka

The Boy pointed at Sri Lanka on the world map we have next to the menu board.  Sri Lankan waffles.

I can do that. Pinterest and Google, ahoy!!

There are several recipes that went into these waffles, so I'll take them one at a time.


"Appa" Waffles

Sri Lanka has a dish called Appa, which is a kind of pancake/crepe thing.  It is yeasted, but I decided in my take (in waffle form) to go with just baking powder for leavening.  I stuck with the flavors of the appa - using rice flour and coconut milk - to make the waffles.

2 Eggs
1 1/2 c coconut milk
2 Tbsp Coconut oil (or butter)
1/2 c rice flour
1 c all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder

Whisk together the eggs and coconut milk.  Melt the coconut oil (or butter) in the microwave, then stir into the liquid mixture.  Add the dry ingredients and mix well.  Cook as directed in your waffle iron (keeping warm in the oven in a single layer as needed).

Beet Curry

To top the waffles, I decided to make my version of this beet curry.  It was wonderful (if you like beets).  The kids don't normally like beets and ate it, my friends who came for dinner love beets (as do I), and we gobbled it up.  The Hubby was unconvinced.  You can't win them all.

1 Tbsp coconut oil (or canola oil)
12-15 curry leaves (I found these at the Asian market)
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp curry powder
1 onion, chopped
1 (15 oz) can beets (reserve 1/2 cup of beet juice)
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp of vinegar
salt to taste
1/2 c of coconut milk

Melt the coconut oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.  Add the curry leaves and the mustard and fenugreek seeds and fry for about 30 seconds (careful, the mustard seeds jump!).

Add the onion and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, until the onions soften.


Stir in the rest of the spices and the beets, then the liquid and the sugar.  Cook for a additional 5 minutes and serve.

Brinjal

As another topping for the waffles, I wanted to make this eggplant chutney.  It was The Hubby's favorite part of dinner, and I really enjoyed it as well!  I used tiny eggplants I found at the Asian market, but I'm sure it would work fine with standard eggplant.


4 c eggplant, sliced into ~2" slices
1 Tbsp tumeric
3 Tbsp coconut oil
1/2 c vinegar
1/3 c sugar
3 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated

Toss the eggplant with tumeric.  Heat 1 Tbsp at a time of the coconut oil in a large frying pan, then fry the eggplant in batches gently just until browned on both sides.  Remove eggplant and drain any excess oil on a paper towel.

Put the vinegar, sugar, and ginger and garlic in the pan and bring to a boil.  Add back the eggplant and simmer until the liquid is absorbed.  Enjoy.

Pol Sambola

The final condiment I made for the waffles was Pol Sambola - a fresh coconut chutney.  It was very simple and delicious, and I want to figure out other things to put it on. 

1 c unsweetened coconut
1 red onion, finely diced
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp lime juice

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and enjoy.  That's it!


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment