Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Recipe: Whole Wheat Flax Bread

I found this recipe on King Arthur Flour's website, and had to try it.  I modified it because I didn't have any pumpernickel flour. I used mostly regular whole wheat flour, and some white flour.  It is delicious, rose beautifully.  I love it - and the kids love it!

(I'm posting my variation, but there's a link to King Arthur Flour above)

Whole Wheat Flax Bread

1 1/2 c whey (from straining yogurt) or water
1 Tbsp blackstrap molasses
1 tsp instant yeast
1/2 c flax seed meal
1 c all purpose flour
2 c whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp salt



Prepare dough in your bread machine or by hand, adding more whey or flour if needed to get the right texture.  When the dough cycle is complete, transfer dough to a loaf pan, cover with a towel, and let rise for about an hour, or until doubled in bulk.


Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake for about 35-40 minutes.  When the bread comes out of the oven, rub some butter on the top of it, then remove from the pan and wrap in a towel.


Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I'll be making this soon. I'm game for anything with flax in it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete