Thursday, August 19, 2010

Recipe: Lightened Up Pesto and Veggie & Pesto Pasta Salad

Two recipes here - I had a plethora of veggies to use up and a vegetarian amongst my dinner guests.  I asked for advice on my facebook page for what to make, and from the suggestions, I chose a pasta salad with pesto.  Mmmmm.

First up, the pesto.

 I really don't like ridiculously oily pesto.   So, I made this one a little lighter, and threw in some beveri flax seed meal as an added nutrition boost.

Lightened Up Pesto

2 c fresh basil leaves
1/4 c lemon juice
1/4 c almonds
1/4 c pine nuts
1/4 c flax seed meal
1/4 c reduced fat parmesan cheese
~1/4 c olive oil

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until well blended.  Add more olive oil as needed to get to a smooth texture.


Veggie & Pesto Pasta Salad

1 box whole wheat rotini
~1 c pesto
2 tomatoes, cut into chunks
2 c fresh green beans, cut into pieces and steamed
1 cucumber, cut into chunks
1 green bell pepper, cut into chunks
*feel free to add other veggies that you have on hand.
salt, to taste
(If desired, add in mini pepperonis)

Cook pasta according to package directions.  While still hot, mix pesto in and stir until well coated.  When cooled, add in the vegetables.  Serve at room temperature or chilled.


Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. I just love your lunch ideas! Everything always looks yummy!

    Also, I've bestowed an award upon your blog! Please go here to check it out:
    http://crzycatladyslibrary.blogspot.com/2010/08/i-am-versatile-again.html

    And if you like my blog, I'd love to have you as a new follower, but it's not necessary to accept your award!

    Hugs~
    Crazy Cat Lady
    http://crzycatladyslibrary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete