Thursday, September 5, 2013

Recipe: Garden Couscous Stuffed Pattypan Squash

I have never before had pattypan squash.  My mother mentioned that she doesn't much care for it, so we never grew it.  Always interested in trying new things, I was excited to have it as an option at my CSA this week, and grabbed them happily.

I am so glad that I did!  The kids loved them, I loved them, The Hubby loved them... and they are super cute!  I bet I could even convert my mother.

Garden Couscous Stuffed Pattypan Squash

1 Tbsp oil
6 small to medium sized pattypan squash
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 cubanelle (or sweet bell) pepper, chopped
1 ear corn, kernels cut off
3 links sausage (I used Spinach & Roasted Red Pepper Chicken Sausage)
1/4 c Philadelphia Savory Garlic Cooking Creme
1 c water
1 c couscous
1 tsp butter

Preheat oven to 400 F. Hollow out pattypan squash with a melon baller or small spoon until there is only a small amount of flesh left under the skin.  Save the squash you scoop out.

Heat oil in a saute pan.  Combine chopped veggies with the squash in the pan and cook over medium heat.  Remove skin from the sausages and crumble the meat into the pan.  Cook until the meat is done and the veggies are tender.  Stir in the cooking creme (or use cream cheese with a little milk mixed in, with some garlic powder).

Meanwhile, boil the water in a sauce pan.  Melt the butter in the water.  When the water comes to a boil, stir in the couscous, cover, and remove from heat.  Allow to sit for 5 minutes.  Fluff the couscous with a fork and stir into the veggie mixture.
Filling
Place the hollowed out squash into a baking dish. Fill the squash with the couscous veggie mixture.  Put any remaining filling into an oven safe pan (or the saucepan you cooked the couscous in).  Bake both the stuffed squash and the remaining filling for about 30 minutes, or until the flesh of the squash is tender.


Serve squash on top of a little of the filling and enjoy.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment