Thursday, May 13, 2010

Recipe: Grandma Roberts' Maple Glazed Apples and Hot Dogs

When I was little, we lived with my Grandma.  When there was a quick, comfort meal to be had, this was her go-to recipe.  It may sound like a strange combination, but trust me - it's delicious.  The kids love it.  I have used kielbasa in it, and tonight I used 98% fat free hot dogs.  It's very forgiving.




One note:  If you aren't going to use real syrup, don't bother making this.  The darker the syrup, the better. 
 
Grandma Roberts' Maple Glazed Apples and Hot Dogs

1 T butter
2 T prepared mustard
3/4 c maple syrup (real, Dark Amber or Grade B works best)
1 lb hot dogs
6 medium-sized tart apples, cored and sliced to make thick rings with skins left on

Melt butter in skillet. Stir in mustard and maple syrup. Make slashes in hot dogs (I like them chopped into bite sized pieces) and add them together with the apples, to the sauce. Cover and simmer over very low heat for 10-15 minutes.

This is especially good with cornbread and baked beans.

Chopped Apples (I used my mandolin):

Chopped hot dogs:

The sauce:

Ooops, the pan was too small!:

Deliciousness:


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment