Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Recipe: Pumpkin Spaetzle

It's fall, which means my mind goes to all things pumpkin.  I love pumpkin.
Pumpkin Spaetzle, with pork chops and broccoli.  Mmmmm.

So I wanted to try pumpkin spaetzle.  And oh, was it good.  The kids loved it.

The procedure is the same as with the Boiled Slobbages and the Cheesy Spaetzle.

The recipe is as follows.

Pumpkin Spaetzle

2 eggs
1 c canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling!)
1 1/4 c flour
1 tsp nutmeg

1-2 Tbsp butter

Combine all ingredients except butter together well.  Let rest for about 10 minutes.  In a large pot, boil broth or water. Using a spaetzle maker or a collander, press the dough through holes into the boiling liquid. Boil for about 2-3 minutes, or until they all float, stirring occasionally. Remove from the boiling liquid and submerge in a bowl of cold water for about 30 seconds.  This keeps them from sticking. Melt  butter in a large frying pan.  Saute the spaetzle briefly in the pan.  Serve warm.


Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. pumpkin Spaetzle sounds interesting. Although I'm from Germany I never made Spaetzle myself. I just use store-bought ;) I really have to try you recipe! Lucky that I have steamed a pumpkin yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how it compares to the authentic German version! It's super easy and fun. I like to make other homemade pasta, too, but the spaetzle is the easiest!

    ReplyDelete