Sunday, August 28, 2011

Recipe: Beet Cheddar Crackers with Flax

I found this recipe a while ago, but I haven't had a chance to make it until now.  Since I've been baking up a storm through the storm (winds raging outside, lots of rain, but we still have power - so far), I had time!

Mine didn't turn as lovely red in color as the original recipe - I think this is because I didn't use orange cheddar, but extra sharp Cabot cheddar instead.  So... I remain convinced that while my crackers are more of a pale pink/orange color than the original recipe's lovely red, they have the wonderful benefit of having Cabot Cheddar in them!

I made my crackers round with scalloped edges like Ritz crackers, and poked some holes in them before baking because they puff up.


They really are totally wonderful, and very easy.  I used canned beets and measured out 2 oz of the puree (about 1/4 c).  I bet it would be better with fresh beets, but that's all I had.  I made about 47 crackers, and they end up being about 35 calories and 2 g of carbs a piece.



Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. I'm a sucker for homemade cracker recipes, especially ones including Cabot cheese :) Thanks for sharing, and for supporting our farm family owners!
    ~Jacquelyn

    ReplyDelete