Sunday, March 2, 2014

Lunches for an Outing: Boston Museum of Science, 3-1-14

We love the Boston Museum of Science!  If you live anywhere at all close, I can't recommend it enough.  We have a membership, and intend on renewing it for next year.  We spent the day there yesterday, and had such a wonderful time.
Wall of food!
There's a temporary exhibit that we could have spent so much more time at - Our Global Kitchen: Food, Nature, and Culture.  (I will have some pictures of this later - my camera died).  It was fascinating.


Another temporary exhibit features molecular gastronomy, which I have seen all over the Food Network, and as a scientist, I would love to try it.. but those molecular gastronomy kits are expensive!  It is called Innovation in the Art of Food, and made me really want to try oil "caviar" and carrot foam...

We went to a show in the planetarium all about moons (this was outstanding, and worth the trip in and of itself), and also an IMAX show about the South Pacific and coral reefs.


On top of all of that, we saw tiny cotton-top tamarin monkeys, a porcupine, a fantastic lightening show, the live butterfly garden that always makes me feel like I am communing with my father (who was an amateur lepodopterist) ... and the kids spent a really long time watching their favorite, the perpetual motion machine.

The Girl and my fabulous mother enjoying their lunches





But we also needed to eat.  So, I did what I do, and I packed us lunches.


I made some nice fresh oatmeal bread (from a King Arthur Flour recipe), and we had sandwiches with hummus, spinach, turkey, Cabot cheddar cheese, and Penzey's sandwich sprinkle, along with carrots and cucumber with some hummus (The Girl just had some carrots, as she is not a fan of cucumber), some apple slices and nectarine slices, and a couple lemon Savannah Smiles Girl Scout cookies for each of us, each in an Easylunchbox.

We are looking forward to going again, and I think next time, we will also pack dinner.  The cafe is ok, but expensive and doesn't have many options (since we stayed for an evening show at the IMAX theatre, there was only one dining option left open, and a cheeseburger and fries cost me almost $9...) If I am going to spend money at the museum, I would rather spend it in the museum store, instead of on something I could do myself.

I don't know when we will go down next, or where our next outing will be to, but packing lunches makes it more affordable to do fun things, so pack away!


Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Very smart to bring your lunches, and they look yummy! When we visit the Biodome in Montreal, we find it's the same: we arrive and the kids are suddenly "starving and dying of thirst" and the food/drink options at the museum are overpriced and not that appealing. Great post!

    ReplyDelete