Friday, March 21, 2014

Recipe: Mint Chocolate Swirl Meringues

I made some meringues for The Girl's Harry Potter themed birthday party last weekend, and needed to make something for a school party this evening.  I decided to try my hand at Mint Chocolate Swirl Meringues, using Duncan Hines Mint Chocolate Flavor Mix.

I added a little swirl, using painted stripes of the pastry bag with green food coloring, as I did with the Harry Potter House Color Swirl Meringues.  The meringue mix was a light green with the addition of the flavor mix, and I used a dark green food coloring to paint the bag.


I think the resulting meringues are both yummy and beautiful.  I hope that you try them!  There are lots of other flavor mixes from Duncan Hines, and I've tried some of them before.  I'd love to do more experimentation.. more flavors = more fun.

Mint Chocolate Swirl Meringues

4 large egg whites, room temp
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 package Duncan Hines Mint Chocolate Flavor Mix
up to 1 c granulated sugar

Preheat the oven to 225 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Place the egg whites, salt, cream of tartar, and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until soft mounds begin to form. Put the flavor mix in a 1 c measuring cup and add up to 1 c with granulated sugar.  Gradually add in the sugar and flavor mix and beat until stiff, glossy peaks form.

Cut the tip off a pastry bag and paint a line of green gel food coloring down opposite sides of the bag.
Baking
Pipe into swirls on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.  Bake for about 1 hour at 225 F, or util the meringues look dry, rotating sheets halfway through baking.  Turn off oven and leave for at least 30 minutes until completely cooled and dry.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment