Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Recipe: Rosemary Chocolate Chip Shortbread (from Melissa D'Arabian)

I saw this recipe on Melissa D'Arabian's Ten Dollar Dinners this weekend, and just had to make it.  I didn't make any changes, except I cut them with my new pastry cutter press (I got four of them!  So cute!  I can't wait to use them for things!) As a result, mine were much smaller, and I got about 32 cookies out of the batch.  I also only had full sized chocolate chips.  Mini would have been better, but I'm not complaining about the bigger ones.

The rosemary is an unexpected and absolutely lovely flavor in these!  Don't leave it out!




Rosemary Chocolate Chip Shortbread
(Courtesy Melissa D'Arabian)


1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), softened to room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Cream the butter with sugar using a handheld mixer. Mix in the rosemary, salt, and flour, 1/4 cup at a time. Sprinkle in the chocolate chips, and stir by hand until well-distributed. Gather the dough into a ball. Cook's Note: If the dough begins to soften or feel greasy, chill the dough for 15 minutes.
Roll the dough out into a rectangle of 1/2-inch thickness and cut into rectangles about 1/2-inch by 2-inch. Place the dough on a cold ungreased baking sheet. Prick the top with a fork. Bake the shortbread for 25 minutes, or until the dough starts to turn a golden color. Remove the shortbread from the baking sheet and let cool completely on a rack.


Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting! I have rosemary growing in my kitchen windowsill. I wouldn't have thought to add it to cookies! :)

    I used to have Melissa D'Arabian's show set to record on my DVR but it must have been knocked off because I haven't seen it in ages now. I'll need to look it up and get it back in my line-up.

    Where did the cookie press come from? It's very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the press at the store I work at. Not sure what company it comes from, but it is adorable. I got a strawberry, a maple leaf, and a pineapple, too. :D

    ReplyDelete