Sunday, January 22, 2012

Recipe: Knish

When I was in New York City, I had a knish in Grand Central Station.  The one I had was filled with a spinach potato mixture.  I decided to make some myself, but used another traditional filling, with just potato and onion.

I'll be making these again, and playing with the fillings some more!  Some of my friends thought that it would have been improved by some meat.  I liked them as is.  But, there's room for experimentation for sure!
The knish I had in Grand Central Station (terrible picture, but you get the idea!)

I used store bought puff pastry for the dough.  You could make your own, but I think they were lovely with the puff pastry.


Potato and Onion Knish

2 Tbsp oil
1 small onion, chopped
3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 tsp garlic powder (to taste)
1 tsp sugar
salt & pepper to taste
1 egg
1 box puff pastry (thawed)

In a large pot, boil the potatoes until soft.  Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan and cook the onions over medium heat, and cook until browned and soft.


When the potatoes are cooked through, drain and press through a potato ricer into the pan.  (You could mash them with a spoon or a masher into the pan, but the ricer makes them fluffier and is very easy).   Stir the potato and the onion together in the pan and add in sugar and spices to taste.  Stir in egg.

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Lay the thawed puff pastry out on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Spread the filling out in a log about 1" from one side of the puff pastry.  Roll up tightly, like a cinnamon roll.


With seam side down, cut the roll into about 1" sections.  Put the slices about 1" apart from each other on the baking sheet, pulling the pastry up at the top a bit, gathering it together and then pressing down to form an indentation.

Bake for about 35 minutes, or until nicely browned.  Enjoy (warm is better, but room temp is also delicious.)


Pin It!

1 comment: