Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Recipe: Pressure Cooker Bean Curry

One thing I love about pressure cookers is how quickly you can cook beans!  Dry beans to deliciously cooked beans so fast, it's amazing.

I served this Bean Curry with white rice cooked with a little saffron (seriously, a tiny amount - a tiny pinch in with the water) and some raisins.  I cooked the rice according to package directions.  It would have been better with basmati or brown rice (or brown basmati), but I was out.  This was delicious.

I also made the curry very mild.  You could put in some spice if you like.  My kiddos ate it as is, with a little cheese on top.  Wish I had thought of pulling out the Major Grey Chutney... that would be nice.  I'm having leftovers for lunch tomorrow and will try to remember my chutney.  

Pressure Cooker Bean Curry

2 c dry beans (I used pinto)

1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp butter (ghee would be great, but I didn't have any)
1 Tbsp Teeny Tiny Spice Vindaloo (or a mixture of cumin seeds, clove, turmeric, ground cumin, and ground coriander)
1 can diced tomatoes
2 c water

2 tsp Teeny Tiny Spice Garam Masala
Beans soaked in the pressure cooker - 3 minutes at pressure!
Place the beans in the pressure cooker with at least 4 c water.  Put the lid on tightly and cook on high pressure for 3 minutes, then use the quick release (carefully), and drain and rinse the beans.  Set aside.

Combine the onion, garlic, and ginger in a small food processor to make a paste (or use a mortar and pestle).


Heat the oil and butter in the pressure cooker and cook the onion, garlic, and ginger paste until it is lightly browned.


Stir in the Vindaloo and the can of tomatoes.  Add the water and the beans.  If there is not enough water to cover the beans, add a little extra.  Cook at high pressure for 40 minutes.  Allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then quick release the rest of the pressure.  Stir in the Garam Masala and serve over rice.


Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. My mom and I have been experimenting with different curry recipes lately. Guess the cooler weather has us in the mood for spicy rich foods. Going to add this to the list for us to try. So glad I came across your site! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete