Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Recipe: Pressure Cooker Potato & Ham Soup

Because both of my sisters got pressure cookers for Christmas, I promised them that I would use mine more often to give them inspiration.  Today is a frigidly cold day here in Vermont, which wouldn't be anything to talk about in January of a normal year... but this year has been ridiculously mild, and this weekend, you could go outside in a light jacket...

I say, bring on the snow.  But also, bring on the soup.  Mmmmm.


Pressure Cooker Potato & Ham Soup

1 Tbsp oil
1 large onion, chopped fine
1 stalk celery, chopped fine
4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 c broth (I used chicken)
1 head roasted garlic, chopped (I used my garlic roaster in the microwave)
1 can fat free evaporated milk
~1-2 c chopped cooked ham (I used leftover spiral ham)

In a pressure cooker, saute the onion and celery in the oil until softened.

Add the potatoes, broth, and garlic.  Place the lid on the pressure cooker and cook at low pressure for 5 minutes, allowing the pressure to release naturally.


To the soup, add the fat free evaporated milk.  Using an immersion blender, puree the soup (or use a blender).  Stir the ham into the soup and serve!


Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. Did a search for a ham and potato soup recipe using a pressure cooker and found your post. SOLD! Going to hit the store and make this tonight. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Left over Easter ham is being turned into this tonight. I also just did a search and found this recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why do you puree the soup? Just wondering - I have noticed this on many recipes and we loved the chunks of veggies not pureed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the texture of the potatoes pureed, but if you prefer chunks, just skip that step! :D

      Delete