Monday, October 22, 2012

Recipe: Spinach & Tomato Stuffed Spaghetti Squash



I love when I make up a recipe on the fly and it is a big hit! Both kids gobbled this up with exclamations of joy (I am not even kidding. If you've ever eaten at my table, you would understand.. they are a vocal crew).


I want to go stock up on winter squash because it keeps so well and everyone loves it.  And, though I've promised to make this recipe again, I have other spaghetti squash recipes I want to try! So many recipes, so little time!

Spinach & Tomato Stuffed Spaghetti Squash

1 large spaghetti squash, cut lengthwise and seeds scooped out
1 c roasted tomatoes (or 3 chopped tomatoes - roasted is much yummier)
 2 Tbsp olive oil
4 c fresh spinach
3/4 c shredded mozzarella cheese (divided)
4 Tbsp sunflower seeds (I used Naturebox Barbecue sunflower seeds)
2 Tbsp butter


Preheat oven to 350 F.  Place spaghetti squash face down on a foil lined baking sheet and bake for about 40 minutes, or until a fork inserted in the squash goes in easily.

Meanwhile, put the tomatoes in a pan with the olive oil.  When they are softened, tear up the spinach leaves and add them, putting a cover on the pan until they have just wilted.  Put aside.


When the squash is done, remove from the oven and shred the innards with two forks so that they resemble spaghetti.


Scoop the squash innards out of the shell and mix in with the spinach and tomato.  Add 1/2 c of the cheese.  Return the squash to the shells and top with the sunflower seeds and the remaining cheese.  Put the squash back in the oven for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.


Serve the innards in bowls, or right out of the shell.  Enjoy!


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment