Thursday, November 25, 2010

Recipe: Shoofly Pie

This is one of my favorites!


It's an interesting pie, with a wonderful flavor of molasses.  If you don't like molasses, you won't like this pie.  I love molasses.

I use blackstrap or "bold flavor" in my shoofly pie, and I think it makes all the difference.  I used a combination of blackstrap and bold this year.

It's really fun to make, and goes together really quickly.  There's a fun vinegar + baking soda reaction, with lots of bubbles.  I love when my food is fun.


Shoofly Pie

Filling:
1 c boiling water
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 c bold flavor or blackstrap molasses
1 Tbsp vinegar


Topping:
1 1/2 c flour
1/2 c butter
1 c sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

1 unbaked pie shell

Mix topping ingredients in a food processor to make coarse crumbs (I shred the butter frozen to make the texture better).

In a bowl, beat together boiling water, molasses, and vinegar.  Add in baking soda and continue whisking until bubbly.

Pour immediately into the pie crust.  Then, pour topping on and spread thickly and evenly.


Bake at 350 for about 45-60 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.



Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment