Sunday, September 25, 2011

Recipe: Apple Peel (and Core) Jelly

I love finding uses for things that I would otherwise throw out! 

I was looking for something to do with peels and cores, and after making a batch of Apple Pie Filling, I had peels and cores aplenty!

So, how about something different and fun - Apple Peel Jelly!

I took the apple peels and cores and put enough water in the pot to make them "swim" a little - not enough to cover them.  Then, I simmered them for about 20-30 minutes.  I then used a strainer to remove the peels and cores, and measured the liquid that was left - I ended up with 10 cups of a beautiful light pink liquid.

I made the jelly in two batches - 5 cups of liquid each batch.

Heat 5 cups of liquid in a large pot, and stir in 1 packet of liquid pectin (or 1 box of powdered pectin), bringing to a rolling boil.  Add in 7 c sugar, boiling for 1 minute, and then transfer to sterilized jars.  Process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.

You could make this prettier by straining through a jelly bag, and to be more careful about foam and bubbles... I was just going for preserving, and if my jelly is a little cloudy, the world will not end.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment