Saturday, September 3, 2011

Recipe: Canned Salsa

I love fresh salsa, but when I have 10 cups of tomatoes that need using, it's time for drastic measures.  Enter canning.

This is a cooked salsa instead of a raw salsa, and I think that is necessary because all I have is a boiling water bath, and not a pressure canner. 

So - here's my canned salsa recipe.  It's a little zippy, so you could cut down on the jalapenos if you like.  It would be better with cilantro, but I don't have any on hand.

Canned Salsa

10 c chopped tomatoes (I used a combination of regular tomatoes and yellow cherry tomatoes)
3/4 c vinegar
1 large onion, chopped
6 jalapenos, seeded and chopped fine
1 c chopped bell pepper
1 small can tomato sauce
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp sea salt

Bring tomatoes and vinegar to a boil.

Reduce to a simmer for one hour, stirring often.
I seeded these





Add in jalapeno peppers, bell peppers, onions, tomato sauce, garlic and canning salt and cook another one to two hours or more to desired consistency.  If desired, transfer to low in a crockpot with the lid vented with a skewer in order to thicken the salsa.

Bring a water bath to boil.  Transfer the salsa to sterilized quart jars with about 1/2" head space and process in the water bath for 15 minutes.  Carefully remove from the water bath and let cool.  If the lids do not pop indicating proper sterilization, process again.  Enjoy!



Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment