Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Recipe: Barley and Lentil Slowcooker Stew

I wanted a quick and healthy dinner for us tonight, and I noticed I had some barley in the pantry.

Ah, barley.  The forgotten grain.  I really do enjoy it, but I never remember to cook it.

So this stew is perfect for it!

It's pretty simple.  You could add all sorts of other things to it.  I think it would be delightful with mushrooms.  It's vegetarian as written - I think even vegan.  You could add some spices in if you like.  I bet curry powder would be delightful.

For some reason, with this little cold I have, plain was appealing when I was making it.

I served it with some honey wheat rolls from this recipe - very delicious.  The Boy, of course, only ate the bread.  Typical.  *sigh*  He's 5.  What can I say?  He did try it.  That's a start.

I put some sweet Thai chili sauce in mine, and that was nice. 


Barley and Lentil Crockpot Stew

6 c water
1/2 c pearl barley, uncooked
1/2 c lentils, uncooked
1 onion, chopped
1 c carrots, chopped
2 cloves garlic
4 tsp Better than Boullion Vegetable soup base (or, use vegetable broth instead of water)

Combine all ingredients in a 3 1/2 quart crockpot.  Let cook all day (6-9 hours) on low, or until the barley and lentils are cooked through and tender.  Serve with rolls, like these honey wheat rolls.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment