Monday, April 23, 2012

Recipe: Bean, Potato, Greens, and Sausage Soup

The children both surprised my by loving this soup!  My father said it is very similar to Portuguese Kale & Bean Soup.  They both slurped it right up, as did I.  What a fun and healthy soup... you could make it vegetarian by simply leaving out the kielbasa, but we all loved it as is.


Bean, Potato, Greens, and Sausage Soup

1/2 lb kielbasa, sliced into rounds
 4 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 lb potatoes, peeled and diced
4 c vegetable stock
4 c water
1 can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
~4-6 c kale and/or chard, shredded
salt & pepper to taste

In a 5-6 qt soup pot, heat a tablespoon of the oil.  Brown the kielbasa slices lightly, then remove them from the pan and set aside.  Add the rest of the oil and the onion, and cook until softened.  Put the potatoes, stock, and water into the pan, and boil until the potatoes are cooked through.  Stir in the beans and the greens and cook until the greens are wilted.  Add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!


Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. FanTAStic! Something to use up my chard on, since I KNOW I'll be getting more in my CSAs this Summer! (Kale at least makes some tasty, tasty chips!) I bet braising mix would be good in there too, since it usually has kale and chard in it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea, and I can make it with my faux meat kielbasa! Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete